Saturday, February 23, 2013

The First Bottle

Hello Fellow Perfume Aficionados,

Way back when, I used to choose the bottles of scent I purchased with a somewhat wanton attitude: if I wanted it, I bought it. Now, I find myself contemplating my purchases, mainly because I realize that it's not quantity that matters, it's quality. A well-edited selection of scents is the path I'm choosing to take; we'll see how many I actually wind up with.

The first bottle is Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau, which means, "Shadow in the Water." I find it somewhat ironic that I've chosen a scent with the word "shadow" in it, since I'm trying very hard to emerge from quite a large shadow of despair.

I've always admired the Diptyque line, especially the candles. My home smelled like Essence of John Galliano (pre-anti-semitic rant), Figuier, and Baies on occasion, but I never chose to wear any of the eaux de toilettes until now. 

L'Ombre dans L'Eau is comprised of black currant leaves, rose and a smidge of musk. It is an intense green scent, which is reflective of my new locale: year-round green amid almost constant cool and damp. The leaves retain the juiciness of the fruit, and compliment the rose note perfectly. I've never been one to wear a heavy rose fragrance; the rose note has to be balanced by something equally as assertive for it to appeal to me. Plus, since I am now in a more moderate climate, I am gravitating towards scents that are not quite as heavy as ones I wore in the past. The dark, spicy, incense-y "bear hug" scents I used to love in much colder climes would now overwhelm me.

Despite the green-ness of L'Ombre dans L'Eau, there is a comfort and familiarity to it. Some green scents can be excessively zesty, but this one has a warmth you won't find in others. Maybe that's why I am so drawn to it; cheerful greens and warmth. What more could a melancholy nose ask for?

With love, and fragrant wishes,

Nava

2 comments:

  1. Nava, what a beautiful choice for first bottle. Fresh, juicy, green...
    And how lovely to have the chance to thoughtfully build your collection (silver lining from very dark cloud).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete